(504) 888-3939 mikebroussard3939@gmail.com

Michael A. Broussard

A Louisiana Attorney

Wide Range of Legal Counselling

My Aunt lived in another state and died leaving property in Louisiana. What now?

Being an heir of an out of state relative can be tricky, but here’s an overview of how Louisiana law works in relation to acquiring property in Louisiana when you reside in another state. Firstly, this is more common of an occurrence than one might think. There are laws in place to protect individuals and their assets as long as the proper process is followed. If someone died leaving property in Louisiana for you in their will, here’s what you need to do to make sure your i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed: The first question that needs to be answered is whether the property is real property, immovable (real estate) or movable. If the property is real estate (immovable property), the heirs OR legatees listed in the will have to be placed in possession of the property. This is done through a Succession proceeding in Louisiana. A Succession is when one person (successor) takes over or is placed into possession of another person’s (predecessor) property. A petition (law suit) is filed in the court of the Parish where the property is located requesting that the heirs or legatees be recognized as the owners of the property. The type of proceeding depends on whether Probate proceedings are opened in the other state. If proceedings are opened in the other state, then an Ancillary Succession Proceeding can be done in Louisiana. If no proceedings are opened in the other state, then a regular Succession proceeding must be opened in Louisiana. If the decedent had a will, which meets the requirements of the state where the Aunt died, Louisiana has a...

Louisiana Landlord Tenant Laws : Who do they protect?

When you sign a lease for rental property, your landlord will probably require you to pay a security deposit. Later, when your lease ends and you vacate the rental property, you’ll want your security deposit back as soon as possible. Do you know what the Louisiana landlord tenant laws say about how all of this works? Here are answers to commonly asked questions about security deposits for rental properties: Q: How much can a landlord get from a tenant as a security deposit? A: Louisiana law imposes no limit on the amount a landlord can require from a tenant as a security deposit. Q: How long does a landlord have to return a tenant’s security deposit? A: A Louisiana landlord has up to one month after the end of a tenancy to return the security deposit. The law allows deductions for damages to the...

Schedule your free legal consultation

Click Here
(504) 888-3939